Thursday, October 03, 2024

An Exceptional Surprise Pre-Birthday Treat

Yesterday morning (02.10.2024) just before 11.00am, I received a phone call from Grace, an ex-classmate and a very good friend from my high school days at Lok Yuk. She asked whether I and my wife would be free to join her and her sister, Jessie for lunch at Pacific Sutera Hotel. Even with such short notice, I obliged because such opportunity is really rare to come by. 

I have been asking her for meal numerous time in the past but somehow the meet up had not been successful. She was supposed to have joined us for a brief reunion with our former Art teacher, Mr. Liew Fui En when he came back from Perth for a re-visit of KK. Just before the meet up on 26.07.2024, she called to inform she could not make it for the gathering due to stomach upset. Attempt to have reunion is even harder after her knee cap operation in early February this year.

The greatest surprise of the get-together was when a staff of the hotel brought out a mini birthday cake and placed it in front of me. It was a surprise pre-birthday celebration she and her sister organized for me. Observing her movement difficulty and the her need to be aided by a walking stick, such kind gesture and effort moved me close to tears!

On top of that, the sisters managed to get the team of restaurant staff accompanied by a guitarist to sing a birthday song to the birthday "boy". This is truly the biggest surprise birthday celebration I have ever had so far!

I am truly blessed to have friends like Grace and Jessie!
Birthday "boy" with Grace.
****************************************************
More than a year ago on 27.07.2023, the sisters too invited us for buffet lunch at Pacific Sutera Hotel. Coincidentally, we sat at the same table for both occasions :)

No comments: