Saturday, February 15, 2020

High Tea with Ex-Classmates

Organizing a class reunion may become more difficult in the coming years since many are opting not to drive especially if it is a night function. But their eagerness to meet seems to be more heightened rather than less enthusiastic. With advancing age, we know that time is no longer on our side!

A reunion is indeed a good break from the routine for some of them. For some, the routine would be sending out "Good Morning" greetings every morning and occasionally as early as 4.30am! I bet some may have sleeping problem!

Most are now living passive lives but their days are still fully engaged and  activity-filled. Many are happily sending their grandchildren to schools everyday and picking them up when the school session ends. Of course, appointments with the doctors or dentists seem to be another common routine among many.

Still there is individual who still has not relinquished the matriarch role and continue to call the shot in the family. This "authority" extends to the third generation.

*********************

Me: Are you still running your day care centre?
Matriarch: No, I stopped two years ago. But I have resumed this recently. I am now looking after two kids
Me: Why?
M: I couldn't stand the boredom of doing nothing everyday. I also take up tuition of my grandchildren plus two other kids.
Me: Why? That's not your responsibility?
M: One day, I saw my grandson scored just 20 out of 100 in his test paper and I told my son, "Send you kids to me every day, I will coach them personally!".
With a smile I said, "Poor kids! Tuition from Monday to Friday! No wonder our Malaysian kids are under so much stress!". In my mind, I was thinking, grandparents are supposed to "unstress" their grandchildren!


On the High Tea, they have thoroughly enjoyed the feasting some far beyond their normal capacity. They felt a sense of pride because of the privilege of eating out at a hotel with 50% discount! That's the upside of being seniors!

Of course, reunion normally generates a sense of nostalgia and a longing to gather as often as possible. The parting words of some of them: "When are we meeting again?". I could only say, "Soon!".

No comments: