Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Trekking in Lesmurdie Falls

I was surprised when first told that there is a waterfall in the vicinity of Perth. I could not imagine that WA known as an arid region without any snow capped mountain can sustain a waterfall. This skepticism was finally erased on 25 April when I was brought face to face with the huge catchment of Lesmurdie in the Lesmurdie Falls National Park just 20 Km east of Perth city.

As expected, water flow at the waterfall would be erratic considering the rainfall pattern in Perth. At the time of my visit, the discharge dropped to almost a trickle - low rainfall season. One can expect a much more impressive waterfall during June-July period when Perth has it's annual wet season.

I found the place to be ideal for family outing, picnic and trekking. The trail is well maintained, its length is not too long and the gradient not too steep. This makes it easy for family with young kids to handle.

No comments: