Saturday, November 21, 2015

Computer Camp 2015

The 3-Day all-paid for Computer Camp at a 4-Star Hotel was just too attractive not to be missed. We applied but unfortunately only one of us was granted permission to attend. I had bargained hard with the Organizer to let my wife to attend but was politely declined. In the end, I decided to attend it alone, with the hope of getting to know some new friends and learning some latest innovations in IT.

This time, no couple was granted permission to attend the Camp even though many couples had applied. Only the husband or the wife was allowed. Being the 8th Annual Camp, I believe the Organizer must have good reason to insist on having only one individual of a couple to attend. Since the venue is at the huge Suria shopping Mall, one can imagine the temptation of the campers to miss the lectures and and to opt for shopping instead!

I was surprised that more women signed up for the Camp rather than men. Out of 40 campers, only 14 were men! Are women more “addicted” to hand phones? Or are more men more conversant with handling hand phones that they find it unnecessary to lock themselves up for days to learn some new tricks? These are nagging questions I had throughout the Camp!

Days are gone when campers have to bring their laptops for the camp. In this Camp, everything was taught using our own smart phones.

We were taught basically 4 things – Photography, two downloaded free App’s - “Snapseed” and “Google Slides” and lastly WeChat.

In the end, the bulk of the ladies felt most helpful to have been taught how to use WeChat. Does this answer my nagging questions?

There is side benefits in attending the Camp or more precisely in getting to know new people. One participant who runs an audiometry clinic offered to give free hearing tests to all 40 participants. Soon after the Camp, I was called and had the test done. As I have expected, I do suffer some significant degree of permanent loss of hearing. Of course, the next question is whether I am prepared to wear hearing aid from now on?

Campers and members of the Sabah Computer Society.
mmexport1448098843220

The roof top of Grandis Hotel proves to be a popular place for hotel guests and patrons. It is indeed a strategic spot to spend an evening to enjoy the KK City Sunset. I was not disappointed the very first time I went up to the roof level.

IMG_20151113_231914

No comments: