Saturday, November 28, 2015

Hearing Aid

A participant of the Computer Camp 2015 who operates an audio clinic offered to provide hearing test for all campers for free. Many took the offer and I was one of them.

The test proved my suspicion all along -  that I am suffering from moderate hearing loss. Each ear suffers a different degree of loss with the left as being more serious.

The test also allowed me to learn and catch up with this technology in hearing aid. Indeed, the development has gone a long way. In the market, the choices range  from “Proton” grade to “Ferrari” grade as the audiologist keenly pointed out. I remember my dad who bought a pair of hearing aid but decided against wearing them. The reason – background noise was simply too loud.

I was offered to try the medium and the highest range of products. True to the claim, the background noise is indeed very much controlled and minimized for the high end version. Still, with the hearing aid put on, the world has suddenly become noisier. As the audiologist pointed out, it takes 4 to 6 months to get used to this change.

Still, I have yet to decide to become a hearing aid user. It is another decision that requires some serious thinking and contemplation. Ultimately, I don’t think I have a choice!

No comments: