Monday, March 28, 2005

Christian Tradition

As a family tradition all these years, we went to the cemetery yesterday late afternoon to clean up two graveyards at BCCM Likas Cemetery - my eldest brother and my paternal grandfather. Believe it or not, except those years spent in the U from 1974 to 1977, I have been going to the cemetery non-stop for the last 30 years. In the past, my father has been faithfully leading his children to the cemetery to clean up the graveyards. These last 3 years, he no longer could do this because of his deteriorating health.

This year, however, only my 2 younger brothers, sister and Aunti Kui Moi turned up. Last year, we had Caleb, Calvin and Cathy joining in. Come to think of it: Can this tradition be continued and sustained? May be difficult. To be honest, I think our children who have never seen my grandpa will find it quite meaningless to go, to clean up the graves and spend a moment of reflection at the grave site.

But, I strongly believe that our family must know their root. A bit of history. My grandpa came from China from a county called Huiyang in the Kwangtong province. From what I was told, he came when he was a very young man. He died on 22 August 1968 probably at the age of 70 (Not very sure of his exact age). His graveyard was first erected in May 1971.

After the cleaning up yesterday, Rev. Lee and I agreed to get Paul Lo to reconstruct the graveyard which by now is in fairly bad condition. Hopefully, the new graveyard will be a reality by Easter next year.

Chinese believe strongly in the tradition of going to clean up the ancestral tombstones during the Chingming Festival. I think Christians should do likewise. Going to the ancestral tombstone once a year at least reminds you of your root.

4 comments:

Serenely said...

Hi dad

I found many types of family tree software on the internet.

I selected one called ‘Master Tree View’ because I think it looks quite simple to use and it is free to download and use.

You can download the ‘Master Tree View’ software from any of the following sites:
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2127-10260799.html
http://www.download.com/Master-Tree-View/3000-2127_4-10362843.html

This is what the charts generated by the ‘Master Tree View’ looks like:
http://www.winloft.com/LSOFT2/DesktopModules/OrgChart.aspx

Alfred Lee said...

Thks. Daughter!

Serenely said...

This is also a useful site about the origins of specific Chinese surnames:

http://www2.chineseroots.org:81/chineseroots/

Serenely said...

I believe this is also a useful site... but it's in Chinese:

http://www.chineseroots.net/