Saturday, February 11, 2017

Passing On

As soon as I arrived at Sam's place from the Changi Airport on 25 January 2017, I was offered to hold my third grandchild for the very first time. She was then exactly three weeks old. It was an incredible feeling to cuddle this little baby girl, the first child of Sam and Rachel. Olivia as she is named is so incredibly adorable and cuddle-friendly. Many thought came to mind as I held the baby. I paused and remembered that my dad who on the very same date eleven years ago had left this world! He would have been happy to know that another great grandchild has been born!

I have this sense of satisfaction knowing that the "baton of life" that was passed on to me from my parents which I then pass on to my children is now continued to the fourth generation. Two Chinese characters, "傳承" which essentially means "passing on" came to mind - two words that probably motivate the Chinese across the world to stubbornly and continually maintain the Chineseness from generation to generation.

Throughout the stay, I had the opportunity to hold and cuddle the baby for lengthy time to my heart's content.

"Surely, two of the most satisfying experiences in life must be those of being a grandchild or grandparent" - Donald A. Norberg

Full Month Celebration.

No comments: