Thursday, February 20, 2014

Chapter 21: If Only We Can Change History?

The renovation of my parents' house in Likas was finally completed in late last year. Soon after the death of my mother in April 2012, the family decided to renovate the house. Now, it is occupied by the family of my youngest brother and my sister.
 
In the course of preparing for the house renovation, many old stuffs were gone through to decide whether to keep or to throw away. I was very happy to be given some old photographs kept in the house which I had almost forgotten.
 
Left to right: My cousin, blogger, 2nd brother and eldest brother.
 
One photo which was given to me is this old photo taken in 1954 when I was just 3 years old (second from left) - the oldest photo of me that I now have. This was taken with my eldest brother (who is deceased), my second brother and a cousin of mine.
 
This cousin of mine called Joseph Yee is of similar age to me. He is the eldest son of my maternal uncle whom I talked about in Chapter 16. He once worked as an architectural draftsman with my second brother. He gave that up quite a long time ago and now operates a coffee shop in Inanam.
 
While it is a fact that this cousin of mine has many more step-brothers and step-sisters born from relationships of his father with other women, he had however opted to exclude all these other family ties other than siblings bored by his mother in the genealogy of the Gomorun. I have said that his family's well-being began to turn for the worse when the father began his indulgence in more women than one.
 
I remember what Neson Mandella said in his autobiography, "Long Walk to Freedom" when he wrote about a classmate he once had in Clarkebury Institute. Quote "She was an extraordinarily clever and gifted person, whose potential was limited because of her family's meagre resources. This was an all too typical South African story. It was not lack of ability that limited my people, but lack of opportunity. Unquote.

When he was asked to prepare the genealogy, was there still "bitterness" when he recalled those incidences and history that may have changed the course of his life?

Today, when I read "The Purpose of History" in the devotional material, I was reminded of what impact history can have on us. History provides many wonderful and practical examples, sharing with us the experience of those who have gone on the journey before us.
 
A slip in one's judgment or a casual unwarranted indulgence in pleasure may change the course of one's life journey.

4 comments:

Penny152 said...

Ha! Ha! Note the fashion of those bygone era! On a more serious note, I think Nelson Mandela in his later years showed he did not harbour any bitterness towards his enemies. His magnanimous policy of inclusiveness is truly something politicians should emulate.

Serenely said...

You all looks so cute in those little sorts (pulled up high) and suspenders. I have never seen a photo of you this young. So surreal seeing this picture of you as a little boy. MH says he thinks he sees a trace of Nathan in your features here

Alfred Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alfred Lee said...

Correct. That's what Sam said too!