Sunday, September 04, 2005

Shanghai Experience


I was in Shanghai for three days. But in actual fact, I only spent about 5 hours or so visiting the usual tourist spots all at the night time - Nanjing Pedestrian Walk and Shanghai Beach.

Though the trip was short, I did enjoy the Shanghai food my friends in Shanghai took me to savour in a number of places - Siau Loong Pau, Shanghai dumpling noodle…..I also had a chance to taste the so-called Tian Sia Ti Ik Pau (World No 1 Bund) during the farewell lunch at the 2nd largest restaurant in Shanghai. My friend saw me enjoying it so much that he specially ordered one dozen for me to take back to Sabah. So my wife would have a chance to taste real Shanghai food after all. With regards to the restaurant, it is really huge as far as Sabah is concerned - 4,000 capacity plus another 120 VIP rooms.

While walking with my friend along the Nanjing Pedestrian Walk, I felt a tap at my shoulder from the back. I turned and saw two girls probably age 17-18. They claimed they have not eaten for quite some time and needed money. The fact is they are not beggars but hookers! Further down the walk, another school boy looking lad bumped my friend and asked, “Do you want Massage?”. In my mind, he could be the pimp trying to market his classmates or some girls. Well, this is one side of Shanghai!

I also deliberately chose to go back to the Shanghai Pudong Airport by taking the Shanghai Maglev Train with a traveling speed of 400 Km/hr. For just RMB40, it was worth every cent of it.

1 comment:

Serenely said...

Welcome back! Glad you arrived back home safe and sound. Hope it was a fruitful trip.