Sunday, July 24, 2022

Canopy Walk at Poring Hot Spring

At the Poring Hot Spring where we spent an afternoon on 12 July 22, four from three generations among the families decided to have a go at the Canopy Walk.

I did the Canopy Walk many many years ago, which unfortunately I hardly have any recollection of that attempt. For this latest attempt, I was a bit apprehensive when I was told that I needed to climb for 30 minutes from the base to the starting point of the actual canopy walk. I was worried whether my legs were able to carry me up the steep slope for 30 minutes. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a go. Shortly after the climb, we met a senior couple (appeared to be in their 60's) who had decided to discontinue the climb and were on the way walking back. They were not confident of walking all the way to the starting point. Then a short while later, we met a middle-aged lady with a younger companion who also decided to turn back. They said that they were probably not even half way of the climb and were doubtful of their ability to complete the steep climb. Fortunately, these incidences did not deter my determination to go on!

I was very glad to have my two grandkids to encourage me along the climb. My grandson, Nathan who regularly turned back and checked on his granddad. His "Gung gung, are you OK?" was indeed a motivating factor! We finally reached the starting point, 10 minutes shorter than the normal 30-minute duration. Still an achievement, I reckon!

Walking a narrow strip of timber board suspended more than 200ft above ground did raise the heart beats. My last walk along a suspension bridge was in Vancouver at the Capilano Suspension Bridge five years ago (Read here). That walk was more relaxed because of its width, shorter length and less sway.


The downhill walk was comparatively easier. In the end, it was the youngsters who led the way!
A typical tall tree used to support the suspension bridge. This one named "Octomeles Sumatrana Miq" is 58m (190ft) tall with a diameter of 1.5m (5ft) and a circumference of 4.8m (16ft).

No comments: