Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Gone to Meet the Creator

I last saw Uncle Wesley in early November 2019 at the Tionghua Funeral Parlor in Likas to pay my respect to the late Aunti Jainah, the wife of Wesley (Read here). I had planned to visit this uncle who resided in Kiulu early this year. Unfortunately I had to defer the plan due to the outbreak of Covid Omicron variant soon after the Chinese New Year in February this year.

His death on 10 March was posted by my cousin, Esther in her FB on 11 March. At the Tionghua Funeral Parlor on 13 March 22, Esther, one of the children of my late uncle told us that her father was found unconscious in the house compound while he was doing some gardening chore. He never regained consciousness. He left without saying goodbye. Examination of his body revealed a dark blue patch at the back of his neck. Could he have died of aneurysm, just like my mother some years ago? He will be buried in the family burial ground which is just a short walking distance from his house in Kiulu.

Since his wife's death, he had been staying in his family home in Kiulu and was looked after by a full time maid. For someone who had been very closed to his wife all his life, life must have been very challenging without her by his side. His daughter Esther told us that her dad was found occasionally attired in his wife's old clothes in the house. That's the extent of how he missed his wife! Truly heart warming and equally heart breaking! 

Through Uncle Wesley, I have learnt quite a bit about my maternal family line (Read here). His death signals the passing of another familiar person of my mother's generation. 

I had visited him in his home in Kiulu a couple of times (Read here) and he too had also visited me during the Chinese New Year in 2013 (Read here).

He will be missed whenever the place, Kiulu is mentioned or come to mind!

With cousin, Esther in front of the casket of the deceased.
In the visit to the funeral parlor, I have a chance to meet a sister of Uncle Wesley, Aunti Jainih, whom I got to know for the first time. Instantly, I saw a little semblance of my mom in her. This is not surprising because they all carry a bit of the gene of the Gomorun!

No comments: