Friday, June 19, 2015

Sam is Married!

While the rest of the world was celebrating International Labour Day, my son chose to tie the knot with his soul mate, Rachel on 1 May 2015.

This occasion was particularly precious because this would be one of the rarest of the rarest when the whole family could be reunited. I had great time spending with the family of Serene and the grandchildren.


This photo is probably the last picture Sam took with the parents at 8.30am just before he went off to gate-crash the bride's house. In exactly 10 hours' time, he would transit from being a bachelor to becoming a married man. There were moments when I did feel a sense of loss when I was reminded of Genesis 2:24 - A man shall leave his father and mother, and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. But that thought quickly vaporized when I knew that I would actually be gaining a new "daughter".
 
The wedding was held in an old Gothic-style magnificent chapel built in 1904 now being referred to as CHIMJES.
 
Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Photo with compliment from Elliot Ng

Abstract of wedding speech:

Marriage is the beginning of a new life, the beginning of a journey of togetherness. We are so glad that our son, Samuel has found a lovely lady, his bride, Rachel to hold his hand all his life and make the journey of life together, to discover the mystery and splendour of marriage life. Of course, it would be dishonest if we say that there will not be tough and trying moments. There will definitely be quarrels and disagreements.

When we first met Rachel, we found out what a smart, strong and independent girl Rachel is. But even more so, we find her to be a thoughtful, caring and compassionate woman. We wish to express our appreciation to her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Chong Kam wah, who have raised her up so well.

Samuel is one of our three children, second child after his older sister. One of the incidents that I could never forget about him is that I forgot to pick him up from school after the school day ended during his primary education period. I think he was in Primary 2 at that time. Normally, I would send him to school in the morning and pick him back after school during lunch time. That particular day, I was so caught up with some work that I totally forgot about picking him up instead. I also forgot to notify my wife about this. By the time my wife returned home in the late afternoon, she discovered Samuel was not yet home and she called to ask me where Sam was. I said. "Wow, he must be still in school because I forgot to pick him up!". I rushed to the school immediately and to my great amazement, he was lying on the pavement alone by the road side where children were usually picked up. He showed no sign of distress and in spite of his hunger, he did not cry or grumble. His patience indeed was remarkable. I felt really bad and of course got a lecture from his mother.

That quality of his patience and perseverance is probably how he could carry on a long distance relationship (Singapore and England with a time zone difference of 7 hours) and finally won the heart of Rachel.
 
Photo with compliment from Elliot Ng

No comments: