Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Strong Wind Hit KK

When I went to the GCC carpark at lunch time yesterday, I saw an unusual amount of broken tree branches strewed all over the car park as well as on top of my Camry. In fact, an old dried up wood branch of approx. one inch diameter still rested on the rear windscreen. I spent some time removing all the debris from the car top surface. I said to myself, "It's fortunate that the windscreen is not broken!". At that point of time, it still did not dawn on me the severity of the strong wind.
 
The severity was only made known to me by someone thousand of miles away in Perth - my wife and Serene :(. That's excusable because I work in a windowless office!
 
The havoc wracked by the strong wind was published in the local papers today. The incident was much worse than I had imagined!
 
 
I was surprised that the papers only reported a wind speed of 74 Km/hour and not higher. This is still much lower than what we normally design our buildings to withstand: 120 Km/hour. Had it been higher, I would probably have known this havoc much earlier because of the sound of broken windows at my front office.

No comments: