Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Gutsy Young Man

This afternoon at my office, a young man knocked at my door and asked for a moment to see me. He has long unkempt hair and in short pants. He is dark skin and looks Malay. He was apologetic for not being well-dressed because he did not expect to just drop in like this. An abstract of the conversation goes like this:

Me: So, what do you want ?
Young Man: I wonder I can have your permission to certify some of my documents for submission to BEM (short for Board of Engineers Malaysia).
Me: Tell me a bit about yourself.
YM: I studied my primary at SRK Lok Yuk, Likas. Then did my secondary at Maktab National. My Diploma in Mara. My Electrical Engineering degree in University Technology Petronas.
Me: So, what are you doing now ?
YM: Doing my Masters at MU?
Me: Why do you choose MU ?
YM: That's my mother's U.
Me: May I ask, what year did your mom graduate?
YM: 1977.
Me: (Thinking to myself that's about the same time I was in MU) may I ask, what is your mom's name?
YM: MR.
Me: What a coincidence. I know your mom. She is now no longer called MR.
(I knew, she has an Abdullah behind her name because she married a muslim).
We talked a lot more and I could see that he also enjoyed the conversation.
Me: If you have a chance, you should try to go overseas and expose yourself to different kinds of experience.
YM: Well, I wish I could but my mom can't afford.
Me: Did you notice many students who are studying overseas are not coming back?
YM: I noticed. I have many classmates who are now overseas.
Me: You know why? Malaysia has an unjust system. The system does not reward people based on merits. (I took the chance to remind him on this issue. I think if there is any chance of change, may be it has to start with the younger generation. I thought).
YM: I agree.

At the end of the conversation I gave him my name card and he expressed his desire to see his name ending with just as many professional titles as well one day.

This young man reminded me of my two gutsy sons as well. One ventured on his own to pursue his dream in a foreign country. Another went to the country down under literally on his own and is thriving there despite the fact that there is very little Malaysian content so to speak, just orang putih.

This young man's positive attitude bodes well for his future. He is polite, affable and holds himself well. He has a bit of roguish humour and I can't help but like him (especially when he reminds me of my boys).

2 comments:

Serenely said...

It was very nice of you to take time out of your 'busy' schedule to spend time chatting with him and sharing some of your 'wisdom' this this young man :)

Wondering if you also talked to him about BGR and finding a wife, since that is one of your favourite topics!

Alfred Lee said...

Well, I couldn't talk about this BGR thing the 1st time we met. That's would be a bit weird I guess !