Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sex in the minds of 11+ Years

 
This morning in my Primary 6 Praise Kids Class, one boy just posed a casual question to me :"How many children do you have ?"

"Three". To my surprise, his response was like this :
"So, you must have sex at least three times".

Wow, I was caught a bit off guard. In order not to shut off such inquisitive minds, I asked him:
"Where do you learn about sex education ?"
"Encyclopaedia"
"What other things do you know about sex ?"
" Boys have sperms but girls don't have. You need sperms to have baby".

I was amazed that issue concerning sex has already set into the minds of an 11 years old. Or was it always like this? Or that kids in the older days were not so daring to express and to desire to learn.

I wonder whether our boys had this issue crossing their minds back when they were 11 or 12. But there is no denying that TV, internet and the media have contributed to the "openness" of these young minds. Well, it's important that they be properly guided so that this "openness" would not be abused.

1 comment:

Serenely said...

Actually when I was young (prob even as young as 10-11) I also got some of my information on sex education from your medical encyclopedias (which you used to keep on the top shelf of your bedroom). It's probably best to learn such things from such source rather than hear weird facts from friends and peers