Thursday, February 11, 2016

Remembering Old Days

I finally managed to pay a visit to the home of my ex-Art teacher, Mr. Liew Fui En who now resides in Willetton, Perth.

I vaguely remember him teaching art during my Bridge Class year in Lok Yuk in 1964. Frankly, I am no artist and Art was never my cup of tea. I cannot recall any art lesson I had from Mr. Liew nor any fond memory of him being the art teacher. There is however one incident that permanently inked into my brain. I used to sit at the last row in Bridge Class. In one of the art class lessons, I was talking to my neighboring classmate without paying attention to the teacher when suddenly I felt a thing struck my forehead. It was a chalk duster thrown by the art teacher toward my direction. Fortunately, no harm done. If it happened today, he would probably have been hauled up for questioning for a dangerous act against a student. But in those days, teachers could practically do anything to their students.

We had a great chat talking about what he has been through from being a teacher, then a manager of a finance company, then a manager of a company selling Mercedes-Benz and finally a boss of  his own company selling cars. He was so keen in chatting that he initiated a second meeting, this time for coffee in Southland Shopping Centre.


******************************************

For ex-Consulting Engineer, Lau HW, his enthusiasm to meet and talk has not diminished since we last met in September 2010 (Read here). Looking around his house's compound, it is obvious he has given up practicing engineering and devoted much of his time to gardening.


***********************************************

The Goh's are new arrivals who have just left Singapore and settled down in Perth. They are still unsettled because the house they bought has yet to be handed over to them. Like Lau, they are equally keen to grab any opportunity to meet up with old friends from Malaysia.


Eating fish head mee soup in an ex-Malaysian operated food outlet is probably the most appropriate place  to reminisce old time in Malaysia and Singapore and to talk about coming days in Perth.

No comments: